Wednesday, April 16, 2008

chefs in the house

We have recently offed our old plastic play kitchen and replaced it with a used, but lovely wooden version. We are slowly trying to rid ourselves (mostly anyway) of all the brightly colored and soul damaging plastic toys that have become a fixture in our lives since Sam was born. I am trying to simplify our lives and our home- the general toy clutter has recently reached some sort of zenith and it's either it or me!! I am also trying to "naturalize" our lives a bit- reduce the amount of toys, up the amount of imagination. Get the kids in contact with more natural fibers and materials and less plastic and batteries. We have always tried to be very conscious of what we brought into the house and their lives, but the situation seems to have run away from us somehow...

So anyway, we are actively trying to pare down and simplify. Sometimes that means just getting rid of stuff, and sometimes that means paying more for a quality item, instead of choosing the cheaper, more readily available China-made item. Either way, it is a process and we are working on it.

We do now have a charming little wooden kitchen that I love, probably more than anyone else in the family. I don't have a very good shot of the kitchen itself, but I have a few cute ones of the boys playing with it. One of my new favorite activities is setting it back up at night after the boys have gone to bed. If only I liked cleaning up the "real" kitchen as much...




1 comment:

Amy said...

So cute! Sam's hair is getting so long and Elias has the most beautiful baby browns! I miss you guys..