Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Story of the Day

Hello all. Here is a slight variation of the popular "quote of the day" feature. It is basically the same, but slightly longer. Pay attention and I'm sure you will catch on in no time!

Today Sam's kindergarten class visited the local pumpkin patch. Elias and I, always looking for a good time, tagged along. We played in the maze, climbed the hay bale pyramid, watched the pigs, and- oh yeah- picked out pumpkins. It was a very fun afternoon all around. On the way home, Sam was asking me about pumpkins and if his would still get bigger. I said no, that once a pumpkin was picked it wouldn't grow anymore. He said that he thought that maybe if you put the stem in water it would keep growing. No, I said, that's a good idea, but a pumpkin is one of those things that just doesn't grow anymore once they are picked from their vine and taken out of the earth. Oh, said Sam, so it could die right away and we'll just have to hope for the best? It was at this point in our conversation that I had to stop myself from laughing. I muffled my giggle and told him that pumpkins tend to last for a pretty long time after you pick them, so we shouldn't worry about it. He was quiet for a few moments, digesting this piece of information, and then said,

"So, it's kind of like how people last for a while too after they stop growing?"


Needless to say, I could not muffle my laughter anymore at this point...


No comments: